Me and my friend were strolling down the road, hearing the animated chattering of school children. The mix of languages in different inflexions drew our attention. Our conversation turned towards the topic of mother tongue and father tongue. But my friend was not so convinced about the concept of a father tongue. I asked, “When foreign tongues, and work-space generated technical tongues (jargon-sprinkled with jargons of professionals) are readily accepted, why not a father tongue?”
His face clouded with doubts, he replied, “You are a glib talker. Can you explain all these points on record?”
Accepting, I replied “The first part will take you to the very origin of
a language and the second and third parts will bring you to the stage of printed
books. In between, I will touch upon the mother
tongue and father tongue. Are you ready to hear?”
When he acceded to hear, we parted company. I started thinking about how to handle this task and he, probably wondering, why did not he keep his tongue in cheek!
Thoughts tumbling in my mind, I spent considerable time twisting and turning on the bed, in an attempt to catch that elusive sleep. Finally, my eyelids started to droop. My subconscious mind, the sleep spoiler, commenced playing some vague video clips to clue in to familiar snippets of information.
I found myself in the corridor of a hospital, where parents and relatives were anxiously waiting to hear the first cry of a newborn baby. Though asleep, this doubt popped up in my mind - “how can it be parents, should it not be a parent while the other is undergoing the delivery pangs?
I applauded myself for clearing my own doubt by explaining it away as parents of the husband and wife! After this interruption the dream continued to show how this first cry becomes the wails of a siren. The session ended with a warning - as the baby grows, its market share of the initial welcoming warmth will go down with these ‘sleep spoiler spells.
When this vivid dream ended, I woke up bedraggled with this doubt “Did I over play my hand promising to easily trace the evolution of a language right from the beginning.?” My inner voice added a twist and asked, “A doubtful promise or a promising doubt?”
Next day, my friend brought his august presence, whether to hear my insight or to watch me squirming uncomfortably, to my house. In all seriousness he asked, “How did they manage it?” He has the knack for asking open ended questions without referring to a subject matter and leave others in confusion.
How could I forgo an opportunity than this to test the strength of our friendship? Chuckling to myself, I decided to test him with my thoughts.
“Let me start
with an overview. Later on, I may use some of these points, to buttress a
specific context.
Unmindful of inconveniences, the mother becomes the only linguistic expert to decode the cry as expressions of wants and feelings of the baby, till such time the child starts to mouth the sounds and syllables to convey its wants, pleasures and displeasures. Growing older the baby starts to blabber in strings of syllables and body language to communicate. If annoyed, the child did not hesitate to belt out the strings of syllables with raising crescendo.
The present-day mother has the ability to speak whereas the first humanoid species did not have that faculty. Then how did those mothers manage the situation? Did those mothers used sounds without definitive structure to communicate? Due to the newborns’ proximity to mothers, did they simply inherit it by mimicking?
Though successive generations must have felt the necessity for a better means of communication, they could not have done anything but to look at the sky in despair and keep their thoughts imprisoned in a wordless world. Their plight, inability and anguish had kept me busy on a thinking loop.
I asked, “Can you guess how the evolution
of tongue or language, as we call it started? How the mothers of our
ancestors managed the tantrums and with what secret formula?”
He chose silence instead of speaking
out his mind. He knows that I know that he knows the answer. I also understood
his reservations on the explanations I would be making. A
cautious fellow with an impenetrable silence as armour!
Answering my own question, I
continued, “Unable to speak like a present-day mother could do, the mothers of
our ancestors only could have made pseudo-speeches (sounds without definition)
in the form of clicks or clacks”.
My friend asked, “What is this ‘click’
and where from you have imported it?” To tease him I quipped, “from my bag of
guesses!” This sarcasm was my attempt to evade answering how sound becomes
speech and to hold back some of the scientific findings on this, for appropriate
use later.
Not to be sidelined, my inner voice
joined issues with a growl and prodded, “Why this sudden interest in trying to
fathom the origin of a language? Do you have the requisite expertise to
understand and then to proceed forward? Be warned. If you are planning a write up, it will get
scrutinized and maybe, you will be crucified on the literary stakes.”
Out of my friend’s hearing, I managed
to post a silent reply, “I am only trying to imagine how all these things would
have evolved. Like great Scientists standing on the shoulders or building upon the
theories of their predecessors, I will be looking over the shoulders and
building upon the theories of archaeologists and borrow their assembled dates,
artifacts and other evidence. Have they not constructed a picture using their
imagination? Likewise, I am just trying to add a little humane touch and colour
on to the canvas. Will you withdraw your earlier warning?
You can pull in an idea from thin
air, but to develop it into something, don’t you need the skills of a language?
A Logophilic, who loves words, will
easily spans this chasm. A ‘Xenolingohassenist’ will
find it frightening and gives up.”. This exercise will also help me to decide
whether I am Logophilic or a Xenolingohassenist. Satisfied now?”
My friend with an impenetrable
silence has another talent – to read silent conversations. He had unscrambled
our unspoken communication and questioned me, “Why do you use Xenolingohassenist,
instead of the word lingophobic? Attempting
to overwhelm and confuse me?” At this
point, having done its job, my inner voice quietly withdrew.
Taking the comments seriously, I started
digging into relevant archaeological archives and absorb the findings, before
embedding them in my, imaginative narration for the limited purpose of tracing
the development of a language. I
believed this exercise will please my friend and satisfy my inner voice, if at
all they let me to work in peace.
They obliged and left me in peace for
a week. Somehow sensing enough time had elapsed, my friend dropped in and
straight away declared, “I am ready to hear you”
Not to douse his enthusiasm, I started.
“Remember your question
on clicks. It takes us to these important places - Nature’s laboratories. The Nature,
being an ultra-utilitarian, had set up these laboratories in caves, edges of
forests, on the mountains, on the seashores and by the banks of rivers. This
was where our ancestors discovered, improved and delivered the clicks of
a tongue or a dialect. No doubt, their efforts and time spent would
have been truly mind boggling and were in no position to judge the importance of
their toils, vis a vis humanity.
The
different environments must have helped the mothers to pick up sound cues from
the cooing of birds, roaring of animals, crashing of waves and thunders must
have evoked different kind of feelings, which they could have expressed by
mimicking these sounds. Choosing the soft sounds, the mothers might have crooned
to communicate with or to lull the fetus or baby to remain calm. Harsher
sounds were probably reserved for admonishing a child or to warn of dangers. These
sound-tricks were the products of mothers’ instincts!
What else could
they do as they themselves were speechless? As years rolled by, this precursor to lullaby
formed the backbone of a language still retaining the sound only tag. The sole purpose of this vocal-musical
language of sound was to offer comfort and safety to the cradlers! Maybe, this
sound-tricks had the potential to develop into a soundtrack of a mother
tongue.”
To appreciate motherhood, I highlighted their efforts to become composers, song writers and singers, using primeval sounds learned from nature. A plethora of inspired musicals resulted due to introduced variations. The menfolk slowly became attracted by this music to become melomaniacs or melophiles. Many of them later might have turned out their own type of musicals, infusing their outdoor experiences. More about this when we come to the topic of Father tongue.
After
hearing this my friend asked, “You mean to say that the womenfolk played a key
role in the birth of a language? Is it why we have the term mother tongue?”
“Yes, if we assume that the first mother taught the first newborn, then she played the key role. By association the man in the house picked it up and went about adding more teeth to it. Yes, now we have the fore runner to a mother tongue!”
He had another question. “How long this fore runner took to become spoken words?
“Perhaps, near about 75,000
years ago, these wordless musicals befriended cave and rockface arts to join
hands with them. The images carved or painted or drawn on rock faces and
walls of caves, reflected the earliest form of pictorial communication to overcome
the lack of spoken words.
Over time, these cave and rockface arts
too might have inadvertently formed the backbone on which the bare musical
sounds used to communicate grew to become a different form of vocalization
called music. This could have happened 35,000 years ago, when our ancestors made
rudimentary instruments and started to play the musical notes on them! They
might have used this crafting skill as
a diversion or as a path to creativity
or to simply express anguish for living in a wordless environment!”
My inner voice chose to interrupt the
flow. “Nowadays, a child starts to speak
in a year or two, and why after thousands of years that first cry could not become
spoken words?
Silently admonishing it to wait
patiently, I continued with my explanation to my friend who was probably searching
for a pinch of salt to take whatever I was about to dish out. “Nature was never
in a hurry at all. It had the biggest biolab in the Solar system and chose three
streams to work with.
One: Working in three domains
aquatic, terrestrial and arboreal, it incubated verities of species with
unimaginable variations, arranged their food chains and survival mechanisms. Two: It did not want every species talking at
once, so taught them only to make sounds as in the same exact way nature was
communicating with them. Howl of wind, crashing of waves, rolling of thunder,
crackling of fire, creaking of trees and so on.
Three: It chose the humans as
candidates but deferred the initiation of its ‘Project Speech’. What are a
few million years to be expended by humans out of a few billion years given to
Earth? So far in the story of language, it has not managed to cross the barrier
of wordless communication.
The evolution of a mother tongue
is facilitated by the mother- child transfer as a major contributor and a
commune level collaboration to develop it further. These points along with the
time frames involved are crucial to understand the intervening stages of
evolution, before the story ends in a printed book.”
Without waiting for my friend’s
reaction, which would surely come later, I closed this imaginary journey
to “The origin of a language”
No comments:
Post a Comment